Mason jar salads are the perfect way to eat fresh and healthy on the go. Especially when you have a healthy power-food like avocado in your salad. Everything you need for a delicious salad is right in the mason jar. Assemble the salad, store in the fridge then grab it when you are on the go, headed to work or just in need of a quick lunch or dinner.
There are a couple rules when it comes to mason jar salads – make sure to put the salad dressing on the bottom and the leafy greens and more delicate food on top and everything else in between– that way your salad stays fresh and crisp until you are ready to eat it!
This mason jar Mexican salad has everything you would expect in a Mexican inspired salad – juicy chicken, tortillas strips, black beans and a creamy dressing made from avocados and roasted tomatillos.
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 Tbs. vegetable or canola oil
- 1 avocado
- 1 Tbs. honey
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ chicken, cooked and cubed
- ½ cup black beans
- ½ cup tomatoes, chopped
- ½ corn
- ½ cup chopped Romaine lettuce
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup tortilla strips or chips
- Pre heat oven to 400F.
- Make the dressing by tossing tomatillos with oil.
- Spread on baking sheet and roast for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the tomatillos are soft and slightly charred.
- Transfer to a blender and let cool.
- Add avocado, honey, cilantro, lime juice and zest and a big pinch of salt and pepper.
- Blend mixture until smooth, adding in additional oil if needed.
- To assemble the salad pour ½ cup salad dressing in the bottom of a quart sized mason jar. Top the dressing with a layer of chicken, black beans, tomatoes, corn, lettuce, cheddar cheese and tortilla strips.
- Place lid on mason jar.
- When ready to eat, pour contents into a bowl and enjoy.